-->

Poor Man's Thai Peanut Noodles...


A few years ago, when I first moved to the city, my kitchen cabinets contained pasta, cinnamon, garlic salt and marshmallows. I didn't have enough ingredients to cook a full meal {I would if I lived in the movie Elf...} let alone follow any kind of recipe. 

When I first started exploring the world of cooking and baking, I would either venture out to my parents' house to utilize their pantry, or I would 'borrow' spices or ingredients I didn't think they'd miss, then bring them back to my apartment to cook with. Thanks for helping me build my kitchen inventory, mom!

{no doubt I will be getting a phone call after she reads this post, oops.}




Anyways, when I stumbled across a recipe for thai peanut noodles from Kelly over at Eat Yourself Skinny, I started making a grocery list. By the time I was ready to go to the grocery store and stock up on the ingredients I needed, I wasn't ready to go to the grocery store and stock up on ingredients I didn't have. Why couldn't I just use what I had and make a poor man's version of the recipe instead?





Here's what I had... basil, fettucine, edamame, peanut butter, lime juice and soy sauce. Oh yes, and sesame seeds, that I just so happened to find after I took the photos... oh well.

Works for me!



Sidenote: I had no idea peanut sauce was so easy to make... peanut butter, soy sauce and lime juice. This is why I love the world of cooking; I feel like I just discovered a centuries old secret or something. Well, cat's out of the bag... peanut sauce is ridiculously easy to make... now go make it!


Additional Sidenote: You have no idea how excited I am that I can now eat dinner when it's still moderately light outside. I cannot wait for summertime, balcony dinners and the smell of my neighbors' charcoal grill.


Poor Man's Thai Peanut Noodles...


  • 1/2 lb. fettuccine pasta
  • 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 6 tbsp lime juice
  • 3 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter
  • a few leaves of fresh basil
  • Sesame seeds for topping (optional)
  • 1/2 cup cooked, shelled edamame


Preparation


  • In a large pot, boil water, then add your noodles.
  • While your noodles are cooking, whisk together 3 tbsp peanut butter, 3 tbsp soy sauce and 6 tbsp lime juice. It helps to microwave the peanut butter for 15 seconds or so.
  • Chop a few leaves {I used three large basil leaves} of basil and add to the mixture.
  • In a separate pot, cook your edamame for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  • Remove pasta from heat, then drain and return to the pot.
  • Add your peanut mixture, drained edamame and chopped basil. Mix together and plate.
  • Top with sesame seeds {that I completely forgot about until after I took the photos!} and serve.


enjoy...

4 comments:

Jayme and Mendi said...

Oh no, it's only 9:30 in the morning & this post has already made me hungry. :) Hope mom's not mad at you...something tells me that she won't be! And we love Eat Yourself Skinny too!

Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

Wren said...

I think I make the poor man's version of everything, but this is rather brilliant. Yum.

Wren

Kaylabee said...

Yes! I have had a sesame-peanut noodle dish on my list of things to make for my blog forever and you beat me to it. And guess what? I have all those exact ingredients in my pantry and freezer, too. I think I know what I'm making for dinner one night this week. :) Thanks for the reminder that it's just that easy, Meesch!

debbiecutieface.com said...

ooh I want to make this for dinner tomorrow ;)

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch