-->

Greek Onion & Leek Quiche...


Like many of you, I overdosed on sugar and carbs this holiday season. Thank goodness that's over and done with.

When I was younger, I was obsessed with quiche. That's not an exaggeration either; instead of birthday cakes, I'd have spinach quiche. Suffice it to say, my obsession {and I took this obsession seriously; quiche for breakfast, quiche for lunch... I ate quiche like it was my job} wore itself out and that was the end of quiche for me.

Well, ten years later, I had a craving for quiche. Greek Onion & Leek quiche to be exact. 

That's a lie. I had a craving for quiche in general... Unlike my baby sister whole could literally devour a whole, raw onion, I have never once felt any kind of craving for onion flavored anything. Before this recipe, I had never tasted leeks, and since I spent a Saturday afternoon polishing this whole thing off myself, I think I may have already worn myself out on those too...

This quiche was really quite good. It's lighter, since it's made with Chobani greek yogurt, but it's packed full of flavor. It's a bit tart because of the greek yogurt and leek flavors, but the buttery crust {which was so flaky and delicious} really balances everything out perfectly.

My only regret with this recipe {and probably the reason why I wore myself out with leeks} is that I didn't know how to properly cut a leek. For whatever reason, I found it necessary to cut the leek portions lengthwise, like celery sticks... Thanks a lot Google, 'cut your leek similar to celery', is pretty vague {for those who apparently lack common sense like myself}. And yes, I Google everything.






Greek Onion & Leek Quiche...

For the Pie Crust
adapted from Black Little Button
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup {2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into tbsp portions
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tsbp cold skim milk

For the Quiche
adapted from KC in the Kitchen
  • 1 1/2 cup low fat Chobani Greek Yogurt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 large leek
  • 1 small sweet onion
  • olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • dash of ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup grated mozzarella + more for topping
  • grated cheddar cheese for topping
  • 1 tbsp Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing sauce

Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and butter portions by hand until the mixture forms a meal consistency. Add cold milk and combine. Once the dough is thick enough to form a ball, flatten into a greased pie dish.
  • Refrigerate the pie crust for about 15 minutes. Once the dough is cold, remove from refrigerator and trim any excess dough from the edges of the dish. Set aside.
  • Wash your onion and leek. Cut off the 'leaves' and the root of the leek, then cut lengthwise, and dice the remaining portion. 
  • In a large skillet, saute leeks in olive oil, then add diced onions.
  • While vegetables are cooking, combine eggs, yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic salt and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for a few minutes. 
  • Once well combined, add 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and red hot sauce, then add vegetables.
  • Mix well, then pour into pie dish. Add cheese to the top of the mixture, then bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cheese browns.
  • Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
enjoy...

4 comments:

debbiecutieface.com said...

quiche is sooo good.

Katelyn Block said...

Green onions = magic. I loooove eating them raw, especially in my guac!

Shannon said...

That look sooooo good!!!

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

Cari Cantrell said...

Fabulous! I love quiche!! and your photos are lovely! :)

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch