-->

Tomato Basil Baked Eggs...


Now that the holidays are over, I am determined to start cooking and baking healthier. My new year’s resolution started at 7:00 am Christmas morning, when I made breakfast for my family. No more pancakes, waffles or muffins in the morning {who am I kidding, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten any of those items in the morning… I can’t even remember the last time I actually had/made a pancake}, now it’s all about baked eggs and whole grain toast. Well, and a cranberry mimosa.

These eggs were delicious and not at all greasy. The thing about making eggs is that even though they’re generally quick, I feel like they’re gone in a split second, leaving you absolutely no time to enjoy your meal. These eggs take a bit longer to make, but absolutely force you to savor every single bite. Plus, you can't beat a good sprig of basil in the morning... So, when I stumbled across this recipe for caprese baked egg cups from Jessica over at How Sweet It Is, I was inspired to see what I could do with a baked egg!



Tomato Basil Baked Eggs
makes 4 servings

  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup diced onions
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese
  • Freshly diced tomatoes
  • Freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 16 fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 tbsp softened butter

Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Place 1/2 tbsp softened butter in the bottom of 4 large ramekins.
  • Add 2 tbsp of feta cheese and parmesan {I didn't measure the parmesan, I just added as much as I wanted in the ramekin}. Add about 2 tbsp of diced tomatoes to each ramekin and top with basil.
  • In a separate bowl, crack two eggs. I left my yolks whole, but you could whisk your eggs with a bit of milk for a scrambled baked egg. Place the eggs in the ramekins. If you left your yolks whole, add a tbsp of milk {or a little less depending on how much space you have left in your ramekin}. Repeat for each ramekin.
  • Top with salt, pepper and Parmesan to taste.
  • Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the egg starts to rise over the edges of the ramekin.
  • While the eggs are baking, caramelize your onions using the remaining 2 tbsp of butter. 
  • Remove eggs from the oven and top with your caramelized onions {and additional parmesan cheese if desired}.

enjoy...

6 comments:

debbiecutieface.com said...

oh this looks delicious! Perfect for a savory breakfast.

Mal said...

yum! I really like baked egg dishes, you can cook for everyone at once and not have to stay near the stove the whole time

http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

Lauren said...

They look delicious!

Lauren
http://tasteslikelove.blogspot.com

Jessa Belle said...

Note to self... do not read your blog posts prior to 9 am! I am officially starving! Teehee another one of your recipes I am going to be forced to try. ::sigh:: Poor hubby & me... =D

Love & Lollies... Jessa

Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

Whit said...

THey look delicious! And a cranberry mimosa sounds even better! :)
-wHiT
www.blacklittlebutton.blogspot.com

seekingstyleblog said...

That looks amazing! I'm going to have to try that for sure!

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch