-->

Jalapeno, Bacon & Cheddar Yogurt Bread...


I've been craving spicy lately, and the fact that I put siracha and hot sauce on pretty much everything apparently hasn't sufficed. So, I decided to craft a jalapeno, bacon and cheddar bread that absolutely curbed my cravings!

This bread is very thick and moist since it is made with yogurt instead of buttermilk. And although I didn't use actual buttermilk for this recipe, it tastes exactly like the real thing. The taste of the buttermilk with the orange peppers is sweet and rich, while the bacon and cheddar gives the bread an earthy yet sharp taste.

Jalapeno, bacon and cheddar together? It's pretty darn good!


Jalapeno Bacon Buttermilk Bread...
recipe adapted from bananawonder
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp Chobani Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp skim milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs + 1 egg white
  • 1/4 cup red or orange peppers
  • 1/4 cup bacon bits
  • 1/3 cup sliced jalapenos for topping + 1 tbsp diced for batter
  • 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 2 tbsp sour cream

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  • Slice 1/3 cup jalapenos for topping, set aside. There's no need to seed these, but try and remove any excess seeds by lightly tapping each slice. The excess seeds will fall right off. Dice an additional 1 tbsp of jalapenos {do not include seeds} and set aside for the batter.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix by hand.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the milk, yogurt, oil and 2 eggs together with a whisk. Add to the flour mixture. 
  • Once the mixture is wet, slowly mix in cheese, 1 tbsp jalapeno, bacon and peppers. Spread batter into two small loaf pans coated with cooking spray, top with sliced jalapenos. {I used an 8x4 inch loaf pan for my first attempt and the center of the loaf didn't cook thoroughly, so I divided the batter into smaller loaf pans for my second attempt}.
  • In a separate bowl blend 1 egg white with sour cream until incorporated. Pour mixture in a stream on top of the loaves.
  • Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes before serving.

enjoy...

7 comments:

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn said...

yogurt bread?! don't mind if I doozy.

Whit said...

This is a rare mix of things, my husband would definately love to try!
-wHiT

www.blacklittlebutton.blogspot.com

Kalancea said...

this looks very tasty! i should definitely try it out :)

www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com said...

Seriously where do you come up with these receipes - this sounds so good I'm jealous I can't try it :)

XO
www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

Hilary Nicole said...

This is a lovely surprise! I would definitely make this bread. Have a wonderful night.

XX Hilary
http://thehippinista.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy! so nice!!!

Andy

www.afterflats.com

J + A said...

wow, this looks awesome! all of my favorite things...cheese, bread, bacon, and a little heat!
http://191orchard.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch