-->

Black & White Gingerbread Cookies...


A few friends and I had BIG plans this weekend to build a massive gingerbread mansion with stained glass windows, a two car garage and an exposed basement. In fact, we had a blue print written on a bar napkin at one point. However, our high tech building plans were somehow misplaced {probably since they were conceived at a pub at one in the morning... darn alcohol induced pipe dreams...}, and that was the end of our massive ginger mansion plan.


Instead, I ended up putting a little twist on the classic gingerbread cookie. Last week, I posted a recipe for gingerbread cupcakes with orange buttercream and it inspired me to see what I could do with gingerbread cookies. 

These cookies are sweet and spicy, moist and crunchy all at the same time. The classic gingerbread flavor takes on a tangy taste with the addition of orange juice, while a unique sweetness overpowers the spiciness with the addition of dark and white chocolate. I added gold sprinkles on top for affect, which in turn added an unexpected crunch to the otherwise moist and chewy cookie. This is probably my favorite cookie recipe so far. I am definitely a fan of gingerbread now! {and so are my friends, since I made these Sunday afternoon and they were gone by, well, Sunday afternoon}

Side note: This is the first time I attempted to make gingerbread cookies, and the first time I had ever used Molasses. Molasses smells TERRIBLE! Thank goodness for flour, sugar and butter...





Black & White Gingerbread Cookies...

  • 1/2 cup {one stick} softened unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup dark molasses
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tbsp orange juice {pulp free}
  • 1 1/2 tsp skim milk
  • 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon + extra for topping
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup pure white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • Crystal Sprinkles for topping

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  • In the large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar and butter and mix until well combined and fluffy.
  • Add your egg, orange juice, milk and molasses and mix well.
  • Once your wet ingredients are combined, add baking soda, flour, salt, ginger and cinnamon and mix well.
  • Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and fold in white and dark chips.
  • Place 1/2 tbsp sized dough portions 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. These cookies spread quite a bit, so make sure not to make your portions too large.
  • Add a pinch of cinnamon to each cookie, then geerously top with gold crystal sprinkles.
  • Place in the oven for ten minutes. Do not bake these any more or any less than ten minutes.
  • Remove from oven and let sit on sheet for a few minutes before removing and placing on a cooling rack. 
  • Let cool completely before serving.

enjoy...

13 comments:

Logan said...

Fresh ground ginger?

Also, Crate & Barrel sells a fantastic ginger grater for around $3, if anyone loves ginger as much as I do.

Wren said...

I love your spatula!! And these look delicious. I've never considered mixing chocolate and gingerbread but it is probably the most brilliant idea ever.

http://houseofwren.blogspot.com/

Wren

Whit said...

They look delicious!! I love ginger!
-wHiT

www.blacklittlebutton.blogspot.com

Jules Bronson said...

mmmm... they look yummy
i will try them
kisses from Buenos Aires
www.julesbornson.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Those look so delicious. I would love some fresh out of the oven right now. Perfect for a rainy day.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

R. Chandra said...

what a great recipe post .. good job : ) mmm, the finished cookies look sooo perfectly chewy & delicious.

Melody said...

This looks amazing!! I might have to try this. Thanks for sharing :)

teaandbubbly.blogspot.com

Vivian said...

yum! these cookies look so good :)

Kristen said...

those look ah-mazing.
kristen
mikie and kristen

Jamie said...

The kitchen in my new house is sub par too. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Mouthwatering...makes me hungry just merely looking at it

Andy

www.afterflats.com

KK said...

wow your cookies look amazing, I am saving the recipe! All your recipes looks so good! I am following you now (google & bloglovin)
x
Kristina

Jackie {York Avenue} said...

I love your pictures! These look amazing and delicious.

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch