-->

Baked Potato and Yam Chips...


A few weeks ago, I successfully accomplished baked apple chips. So, obviously veggie chips were next in line on my recipe to-do list. 

Since I've never made veggie chips before, I researched a few different recipes that all seemed to call for root vegetables like parsnips, potatoes, yams and beets. Though I attempted all of those vegetables, only the yams and potatoes actually turned out.

I've never cooked with beets before... to be honest, I don't think I've ever actually tasted a beet before. Let's just say, my hands were dyed purple for a few hours. Not to mention my sink... and dish towel... and cutting board. Regardless, the beets did not bake like the other vegetables. They started smoking within the first ten minutes in the oven, so I gave up on those.

The parsnips suffered a similar fate. Again, I have never cooked with, or tasted a parsnip... not to mention I kept {and keep} calling them turnips. I'm thinking that I might not have sliced the parsnips thin enough, for they were very chewy rather than crisp, like the potatoes and yams were. That aside, I very much disliked the taste of the baked parsnips.

So, this has become a recipe for baked potato and yam chips; It's very easy, but requires a lot of patience!


Baked Potato and Yam Chips...

  • 3 yams
  • 3 potatoes
  • salt to taste
  • ground basil to taste
  • garlic powder to taste
  • parmesan cheese {I used shredded, grated would work just as well, I'm sure}
  • olive oil

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three baking pans.
  • Peel your vegetables and slice thinly. I used a food processor to save time.
  • Place your vegetable slices on your pans and drizzle with a very thin layer of olive oil.
  • Sprinkle your slices with salt, ground basil and garlic powder, then cover with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
  • Bake at 350 F for 1 hour, checking on your thinner slices every now and then {obviously, those will be the first to burn}.
  • Remove your pans from the oven and let crisps cool completely.


enjoy...


4 comments:

debbiecutieface said...

I love the idea of making homemade chips!

jenn said...

Yummm! I've had store-bought veggie chips before, but these look great and sound easy!

Jenn

passengerseatperspectives.blogspot.com

Chon said...

oh so yams are sweet potatoes! I always wondered what they were :)

Shia said...

These look yummy!! Thanks for sharing!

♥ Shia

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch