-->

Baked Apple & Pistachio Muffins...


I've always loved the taste of pistachio. It's such a strange flavor to describe; it's almost like an earthier almond flavor, with a hint of sweet cream. And although I love the flavor, I have yet to really experiment with it in my own baking. So, even though I still haven't fully incorporated pistachios into my recipes just yet {I suppose I'm a bit nervous to work with actual pistachios!}, pistachio flavored pudding is the next best bet!

These muffins were fantastic. They were so light and fluffy and not too heavy on any particular flavor. The homemade apple sauce makes them extremely moist, while the crumble topping gives it a little extra texture and crunch!




Baked Apple & Pistachio Muffins...

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • dash salt
  • 2 large eggs, beaten well
  • 3 tbsp sugar-free pistachio instant pudding mix
  • 1-2 large apples
  • 4 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla

For Topping

  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 tbsp room temperature butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 6 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  • Mix all topping ingredients together with hands until a thick cornmeal texture is formed. Set aside.
  • Using a vegetable peeler, peel your apples and finely dice. Place diced apples in a medium saucepan. Add 3 tbsp of water, 1 tsp cinnamon and 2 tbsp maple syrup. Let simmer until the water is evaporated and a thick applesauce has formed. Of your sauce, 1 1/2 cups will be used in the batter.
  • In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pistachio pudding mix and salt. 
  • In another bowl, whisk together your eggs, 1 1/2 cups applesauce, oil, 2 tbsp maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well, then add applesauce mixture to the flour mixture and mix by hand. 
  • Once thoroughly combined, fill muffin pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, a little more than 1/2 full. 
  • Once your pans have been filled, take your crumble mixture and distribute evenly over the top of each muffin.
  • Bake for 25 minutes.
  • Remove pans from oven and let cool for a few minutes until ready to serve. The pistachio flavor really comes out when the muffins are warm, so serve them warm!

enjoy...

6 comments:

lauren @ spiced plate said...

I was just thinking about how I needed to cook with some pistachios I have hanging around -- you read my mind!

lauren @ spiced plate said...

Perfect -- I was just thinking about how I needed to use up some pistachios that are hanging out in my pantry. You read my mind! Thank you, Meesch!

seems said...

this makes me so happy! I love pistachios and muffins!!

Shia said...

These look so good!!! Thanks for sharing!!

♥ Shia

Wren said...

This is what I've been waiting for ever since I saw the photo on facebook!

roha said...

yummy!!! :) i LOVE your recipes!!

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch