-->

Sweet Tomato Basil Muffins...


Last week it was five pounds of apples, this week it's a few pounds of tomatoes.... I really need to learn how to start keeping to my grocery lists. 

Regardless, I now have a few dozen tomatoes that I need to find homes for... and this seemed a delicious place to start!

Remember when I competed in the Iron Cupcake competition? Well, you can see my post here, over at the lovely Hannah's blog. The competition was late summer fruits, and while most entries were peach {like my salted brown sugar and peach cupcake, which you can find here}, pear, raspberry or cherry, one entry was a zucchini cupcake with cream cheese 'topping'. Really, it was simply a zucchini muffin, cut in half and spread thick with cream cheese... but it got me thinking. 

...And so, the healthy sweet tomato basil muffin recipe was born... 




Sweet Tomato Basil Muffins...

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup Chobani Greek Yogurt, Vanilla flavored
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp freshly diced garlic
  • 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp sea salt + extra for topping
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tbsp light brown sugar

Preparation

  • Preheat your oven to 350 degree F.
  • Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
  • After dicing your tomatoes {with the skin on, don't dice too finely}, stir together tomatoes, diced garlic and basil.
  • In a separate bowl, combine your egg, yogurt and oil and beat well. If you don't have vanilla flavored yogurt, you can use plain and add 1/2 tsp of vanilla for sweetness.
  • Mix together flour, baking powder and salt and combine with your egg mixture. Mix well.
  • Stir in your tomato mixture until well combined and then fill your muffin tins 3/4 full. 
  • Top each muffin with a pinch of sea salt.
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. 
  • Remove from oven and let cool for a few hours before serving. This extra cooling time gives the garlic a chance to fully flavor the entire muffin.


enjoy...

11 comments:

debbiecutieface said...

oh my goodness I have to make this!

Cari Cantrell said...

Oh these look delicious! And perfect, for my husband who is always asking if we have any snacks I can whip up! :)

Wren said...

Just so you know, I bookmark almost every recipe you post so I can make it later. This one too.

Mr. Taylor and his Lady said...

these look SO unbelievably amazing! now if only mr. taylor loved tomatoes as much as i do. i would make this in a heartbeat!!
xo TJ

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn said...

savory muffins make me swwwoooonnn!

Shia said...

These look yummy and I don't even like tomatoes!!

♥ Shia

Ly said...

These look amazing! I'm not a baker but I need to try these.

-Ly
http://wwww.lyzhang.com

Kylee Noelle {blog} said...

These look so so so amazing! I must try them! Thanks for the recipe :)

--Kylee Noelle

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh tasty! Except i don't like tomatoes, haha
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

those sound delicious! now following you :)

Shannon said...

Looks like the perfect comfort food.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch