-->

Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins With Strawberry Jelly Glaze...


Generally, a peanut butter & jelly cupcake or muffin tastes like either peanut butter with a hint of jelly, or jelly with a hint of peanut butter. I've always wanted to find something that genuinely tasted like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich... equal parts bread, peanut butter and jelly. So I decided to tackle a recipe that I stumbled across for peanut butter & jelly bread from the examiner.

The original recipe is for bread, so I knew it would be thicker and less sweet than a traditional muffin or cupcake recipe. The original recipe also called for apple cider vinegar, which wasn't a taste I wanted in my final product, so I threw an apple into the food processor and used diced apples instead.

I made a few batches of these muffins to make sure they were perfect, and the ones that turned out like I had hoped, only baked for 20 minutes or so. Make sure not to over bake these, otherwise they'll be extremely dry and crumbly. My final product also came out with a very strong peanut butter taste and a very weak jelly taste, so I decided to add a strawberry jelly glaze. Keep in mind, I only used strawberry because that was the flavor I chose for the muffin recipe... you can use any flavor you'd like.  

The end result: perfect. It literally tastes just like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. Not too much peanut butter, not too much jelly, not too much bread and definitely not too sweet! These aren't something you take to a holiday event though, because they are a bit sticky, but the stickiness is definitely worth how delicious they are!


Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins with Strawberry Jelly Glaze...

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup finely diced apples
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup jam or jelly (strawberry, raspberry or your favorite)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

For the glaze

  • 6 oz jam
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons hot water

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Lightly coat your muffin pans with cooking spray or flour.
  • In a medium bowl, combine milk, apples, peanut butter, jam, salt and vanilla. 
  • In a large bowl, combine oats, sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda.
  • Fold wet ingredients into dry, and be careful not to over mix.
  • Place batter in the prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

For the glaze

  • Combine butter and jam in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until well combined. 
  • Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and hot water.
  • Stir well and place the wire rack the muffins cooled on, over a cookie sheet. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins and let sit for ten minutes. {the more glaze, the better... but also the stickier!}

enjoy...

4 comments:

Lindsay R said...

yum yum yum... i've always said that a good pbj is like a dessert. these are right down my aisle.

Lindsay

Shannon said...

Those look incredibly tasty. Thanks for sharing.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

Georgia said...

yum!!
-Georgia

http://swonderfulgd.blogspot.com/

Emily.Iovaldi said...

This is the craziest thing, I just made up a recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly cupcakes as well! I am going to be trying it out soon, I may have to take yours if mine is an utter fail!

Art and Soul
www.emilyiovaldi.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch