-->

Brown Sugar & Sweet Corn Brownie Cake...


I have done it. I've combined cornbread, brownies and cake into one, fantastic concoction. It's thick and dense like a brownie, but lighter, like a cake. And although there is no cornmeal in this recipe, the presence of sweet corn gives this cake a very similar texture and flavor to that of cornbread. 

Sadly, it took a few attempts to perfect this recipe. My first attempt was less brownie and more cake and ended up imploding {or rather, exploding} in my oven... I needed a nap after that.

After multiple failed recipe attempts and trips to the grocery store to replenish the ingredients that seemed to keep filling up my trash can, I finally crafted the perfect recipe... I changed the ingredients a bit to make the cake more of a brownie consistency and added a bit of butter and fewer eggs than the original recipes; the end result was amazing!


Brown Sugar & Sweet Corn Brownie Cake...

  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/2 cup sweet corn
  • dash of ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 2/3 cup all-purpose or bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Flour an 8 x 8 inch pan {or an 8 inch diameter glass dish like I did}
  • Place sweet corn in a colander to drain any excess water {if using frozen corn}
  • Combine melted butter, brown sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
  • Add vanilla, honey and eggs to the brown sugar mixture. Stir until combined.
  • Add the flour, corn and baking powder and mix on high until well combined.
  • Place the batter into your floured pan and bake for 60 minutes or until your cake passes the toothpick test. Your cake will be ready when crumbs cling to the toothpick.
  • Let your cake cool completely before cutting, otherwise it will fall apart.
  • This cake is great cool, but even better warm; so heat it up and serve it with honey!

enjoy...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch