-->

Blueberry Stuffed French Toast Bowls...


Julie, over at Willow Bird Baking, is a genius. French toast bowls?! Yes... French toast bowls. I plan on making these for breakfast every single morning and filling them with anything and everything I can think of. 

When I say every morning, I mean some Sunday morning in the near future. I reserve mildly complicated breakfasts {and by mildly complicated, I mean more complicated than peeling a banana or pouring a cup of coffee} strictly for the weekend... 


Blueberry Stuffed French Toast Bowls...


Recipe byWillow Bird Baking, with inspiration from Alton Brown
Yield: 8 bowls, or about 4 servings


  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons honey, microwaved for 20 seconds (but not while still IN THE BEAR, y’all!)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 slices day-old or stale sandwich bread (I used Nature’s Pride Honey Wheat Bread)
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • blueberries
  • maple syrup, for serving


Preparation


  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In medium bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, honey, cinnamon, and salt (this step can be done the night before and refrigerated). When you’re ready to cook your French toast, pour this mixture into a cake pan or pie dish. 
  • Prepare your bread: remove crusts and roll with a rolling pin to slightly flatten. Dip the bread into your custard mixture for about 8-10 seconds on each side before carefully removing it with a spatula to a cooling rack over a sheet pan. Allow excess moisture to drain off of the slices for 1-2 minutes. 
  • Melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a skillet. Put 2 slides of bread at a time into the pan to toast gently to golden brown (about 2-3 minutes per side). Remove the French toast to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with all slices of bread.
  • While French toast cools, make your stuffing mixture by combining cream cheese and sugar into a bowl and mixing until fluffy. (When I tasted this at first, it was grainy, but then the sugar seemed to dissolve. I was going to suggest using confectioners’ sugar instead, but since the graininess was completely gone when we ate it, I don’t think there’s a need). Set aside.
  • Take each piece of cooled French toast and gently tuck into the well of a greased muffin tin, forming a bowl. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, watching carefully. Pull them out of the oven and allow the bowls to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Remove them to cool on a cooling rack (the first time I did this, they started to fall apart because I pulled them out of the oven too soon, so I baked them a little longer and they were perfect). Once cool, fill them with the cream cheese mixture, top with berries, and serve with maple syrup for dipping.
{recipe/photos via willow bird baking}

enjoy...

2 comments:

A Splash of Ida said...

looks so delish!!! yum yum!

xoxo
Ida

http://asplashofida.blogspot.com

Rose Braisby said...

I want one!!

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch