-->

Baked Apples Stuffed with Maple Brown Sugar Oats...


This past weekend, I bought way too many apples for my own good. Forced to put them to use, I researched apple recipes for hours on end until finally, I remembered some recipes my father used to make for me when I was younger.

My dad is a phenomenal cook. It's really not that he's good at cooking, it's that he isn't afraid to combine flavors and textures. Rather than just making a dish, he makes an experience... a memory. That is what I love about food, it's not just something to eat out of habit or routine, it's something to enjoy, savor and remember. So, when I thought back to my youth, and how my dad would always bypass side salads with our meals, I remembered that he very often presented us with baked vegetables or grilled fruit instead.

Since my tiny city apartment does not allow enough space for any kind of grill, I decided to create a baked apple recipe. I could not have been any happier with the way this recipe turned out. The apples were so juicy and soft, and the texture resembled that of a baked potato. The stuffing tasted exactly like autumn and my tiny little apartment smelled something like what a Yankee candle store smells like right around Christmas.

This recipe is so easy and so delicious... my new go to {healthy} dessert from now on!


Baked Apples Stuffed With Maple Brown Sugar Oats...

  • 2 large apples {I used Honeycrisp}
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup {I used sugar-free}
  • 2 tbsp oats
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp coconut
  • dash of salt
  • 1 tbsp butter

Preparation

  • Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
  • Wash and core your apples. I don't have an apple corer, so I used a paring knife to cut around the core and then used a small spoon to remove the contents of the middle. Make sure not to cut or core all the way through the bottom of the apple. 
  • In a mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, syrup, oats, honey, cinnamon, coconut and salt and mix by hand.
  • Place your apples in a baking pan {8 x 8 inch works just fine} and stuff each apple with your filling.
  • Once your apples have been stuffed, place a 1/2 tbsp of butter on top of each apple, right over the oat filling. 
  • Once your apples are ready for baking, place 1/4 cup of water in the pan and place in the oven.
  • Bake your apples for about 40 minutes, basting the apples in the pan juices every so often.
  • Remove your apples from the oven and let sit in the pan for a few minutes. Once the apples have cooled a bit, they're ready to eat!

enjoy...

8 comments:

debbiecutieface said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm kind of in love with yours already. Your comment haha - I guess that's what I get for buying a fish without thinking about what I'd do over Thanksgiving break (or winter break) :( so sad.

(seriously though, I really hope he's still alive)

ANYWAY. Those apples! This looks incredible. So so good. Too bad apples make my stomach sick :(

Nicole said...

Hello Meesch!

I just visited your site and it made me smile :)
Love this recipe, and cooking with apples.

I just came back from a trip to an apple orchard with friends and I've been searching for fun and delicious ways to make various dishes.

Would love to add you to my blog roll. Hope you stop by some time and say hello!

Nicole
http://chestnutorange.blogspot.com

Jacqueline Ashley said...

Yummy!

xx

Georgia said...

yum! i am for sure trying this tonight!
Georgia

http://swonderfulgd.blogspot.com/

Daniella@ThisCouldBeMeToday said...

Mmmm this looks delicious! I tried a similar recipe the other day, and it was a disaster. The apples basically exploded. I think I overcooked it? I'll try yours soon, and see how it compares!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

KK said...

wow. this honestly looks AMAZING! I just copied the recipe! I can't eat it right now, but I am SOOOO gonna make it in 3 months time! wow. I have to say it again! will follow! x
Kristina

a little birdy told me said...

Might need to make these for tgiving!

Nicole Marie said...

wow yum!

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch