-->

Almond Cranberry Icebox Cookies...


This recipe was a bit of a stretch for me. I didn't grow up baking Christmas cookies, so up until this point, the only cookies I've ever made have been extremely easy drop cookies. I did recently post a recipe for candied orange icebox cookies however, and it inspired me to see what else I could do with 'icebox' cookie dough.

I started out with a basic almond freezer dough. Originally, I had planned on making two separate doughs to be able to make the flavors I wanted, but this recipe makes enough dough to split in half. 

I decided to keep one flavor as almond but added some candied cranberries. For the other flavor, I added a little bit of cocoa powder for color. I kneaded the dough, floured two sheets of tinfoil and put the doughs in the refrigerator for about an hour. Once the dough is ready, remove from the refrigerator and roll into thin sheets. Place the doughs on top of each other and roll into a log. Since this was my first time making this type of cookie, I ended up wasting a bit of dough around the edges of the log {since my log rolling skills are apparently sub par} but don't worry, the dough didn't completely go to waste {those cookies just weren't as pretty as the rest}. Place the log in the freezer for an hour, then remove, cut into slices and bake for about eight minutes.

Since these cookies only bake for a short time, make sure to watch them closely for they're very easy to burn. I learned this the hard way... but those burnt cookies were devoured by all my friends before our Saturday night out, so they definitely didn't go to waste!


Almond Cranberry Icebox Cookies...
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
  • 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup candied cranberries {preferably diced}
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder

Preparation

  • In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat room temperature butter and sugar until light and fluffy, or about 3-4 minutes. 
  • Add the egg, vanilla extract and almond extract, and beat until incorporated. 
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, then add to the butter and egg mixture. Mix just until a dough forms, then divide the dough into two separate mixing bowls. 
  • In one bowl, add your candied cranberries. I used whole cranberries, but in hindsight, I would like to try diced for a more evenly distributed flavor. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
  • In the second bowl, add cocoa powder and knead well.
  • Place the respective doughs onto floured tinfoil and place in the refrigerator for about an hour. 
  • After an hour, remove the doughs and roll each out evenly over tinfoil. Place the two doughs on top of each other and tightly roll into a log. Roll the log back up in the tinfoil and place in the freezer for an hour.
  • After an hour, remove the dough and cut into thin slices {about 1/4 inch thick}.
  • Place the slices on a cookie sheet {doesn't need to be greased or floured} about two inches apart, and bake at 375 degrees for about eight minutes. Make sure to watch the cookies carefully since they bake for such a short time. Remove them the second they start turning a light golden brown!
  • Place on a wire rack and let cool.

enjoy...

2 comments:

www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com said...

I think you need to send some to MN for me to try :) Sounds delicious!

XO
www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

Elisabeth said...

I totally had one of these. Thanks for bringing them over!

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch