-->

Sprinkles!


{Do it yourself sprinkles}

Just think of the possibilities; custom colors, custom sizes, custom shapes... this is genius!



Homemade Sprinkles

  • 8 ounces powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp vanilla, or other extract
  • assorted food colorings
  • as many piping bags as you have colors, fitted with a small multi-opening or plain tip.

Preparation

  • Mix the first four ingredients until a semi-thick paste forms.
  • Divide the paste into as many portions as you have colors, tinting each batch with the color of your choice.
  • Put the colored paste into a piping bag and, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, pipe out long, thin lines. Take care the lines do not touch each other.
  • Repeat the process with the remaining colors and allow the piped lines to dry for 24 hours. Really. You will have an unworkable mess if you say, “Oh, it’s been 8 hours. I can go ahead and do the next step.” 24 hours. They need to be dried out to the core for this to work.
  • After the time has elapsed, use a bench scraper or knife to scrape off the dried sprinkle lines and then to break/chop the lines into fairly long pieces for "jimmies" or quite short for "hundreds and thousands".
  • Store in an airtight container, indefinitely.
  • These make the perfect finishing touch for a 100% homemade Pop Tart.
{recipe/photos via bravetart}

enjoy...

3 comments:

betty said...

I never heard about home made sprinkles! it is the best idea but too bad that you didn't add a picture of the final product. I always enjoy to make my own preserves but making sprinkles sounds great

rachel! said...

ohhh, i can't wait to try!

Miranda Zorn said...

I never even knew this was possible!!! I cant wait to try this!

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch