-->

Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal Cookie Bread...


I don't like chocolate. If you follow my blog regularly, well, I make that comment a lot. I usually substitute anything and everything for chocolate when I'm following a recipe that requires it, which is exactly what I did here.

I found this recipe for Chocolate chunk oatmeal cookie bread over at how sweet it is, and the original recipe was great, but it had way too much chocolate in it for my taste. This weekend, I decided to modify the recipe and add cranberry and coconut, cut the chocolate measurement in half and substitute yogurt for the buttermilk the original recipe called for. 

I was absolutely pleased with my modifications... the bread was not at all sweet and had a bit of a tart bite, courtesy of the cranberries. Suffice it to say, the bread disappeared pretty quickly once my back was turned {ahem, you know who you are... and you now owe me a brand new loaf of cookie bread!}

 



 Cranberry Coconut Oatmeal Cookie Bread...
  • 1/4 cup of butter, softened 
  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
  • 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour {or all-purpose} 
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 cup non-fat yogurt 
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • dark brown sugar for topping

Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a loaf pan {mine is 9×5}. In a bowl, add flour, oats, cinnamon, sugar, salt and baking soda together and mix. Set aside. 
  • In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy then add brown sugar. Beat on high speed until fluffy, scraping the bowl down occasionally – about 3-4 minutes. 
  • Add in egg and mix until fully combined, then add in vanilla and do the same. Add half of the dry ingredients. 
  • Once combined, add the yogurt, then the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape down sides and mix on low speed until completely incorporated. 
  • Fold in chocolate chunks, cranberries and coconut. Pour batter into the buttered pan and sprinkle with dark brown sugar. Set on top of a baking sheet and put in the oven. 
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving. 

enjoy...

5 comments:

betty said...

cooki bread? never heard of it but the combination of cocnut, cranberry and oatmeal sounds exciting I am a fan of soft bread but I can't wait to try this one, I just need to find the time!

Georgia said...

YUMMY! i cant wait to try this!
Georgia

http://swonderfulgd.blogspot.com

Alison said...

This looks amazing. And pretty healthy too.

Kate Bello said...

I love your photos...everything looks delicious!

roha said...

this looks sooo yummy. i love chocolate, but i also think that less is more - so i really like your version. i'll try that one soon!! :)
xx romi

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch