-->

Amaretto Yogurt Cupcakes with Cherry Cream...


When I competed in the Iron Cupcake competition last month {see my guest post about the competition at the lovely Hannah's blog, here}, I sampled a fellow bakers' door county cherry cupcake that was seriously decadent. The cupcake was an almond cake with cherry frosting and a dark cherry filling... it was unreal. I think the reason I love that cupcake so much, was because it reminded me of a martini I used to make back in my college bartending days... it was a cherry amaretto martini with a hint of lemon that gave it an ever-so-slight tangy taste... much like that of tart yogurt. So, when I stumbled upon this recipe for amaretto yogurt cupcakes with cherry-yogurt frosting from my own sweet thyme, I absolutely had to share it...

{and thus begins the never-ending search for the old bar menu that I borrowed from the martini bar I worked at in college... I'll share my old martini recipes with you soon!}


Amaretto Cupcakes with Cherry Cream
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powderpinch of salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 5 oz container Greek yogurt (Oikos plain yogurt)
  • 1/4 cup amaretto
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
For Frosting
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar (use brown sugar or vanilla sugar if you like)
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek style yogurt
  • 1 cup cherries, pitted and quartered (or try other stone fruit or berries)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (use vanilla sugar if you like)
  • 12 whole cherries for garnish, if desired
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cupcake tins with cupcake papers.
  • In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
  • In a large mixing bowl beat together the eggs, butter, yogurt and liqueur. Add the sugar and continue beating until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
  • Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake papers. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 -25 minutes, or until cakes begin to brown and test done. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
  • Sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar over the fruit in a small bowl. Stir and set aside for 20 minutes or so to macerate.
  • Whip the cream with 1 Tablespoon sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in the yogurt and the fruit.
  • Cut a cone shaped wedge of cake from the top of the cooled cupcakes. Fill the crater with the cherry whipped cream, piling the cream mixture on top. Garnish with a whole cherry if desired.
  • Serve and enjoy!
{recipe/photos via my own sweet thyme}

enjoy...

2 comments:

Loulou said...

This looks amazingly good! Anything cherry, and I'm there!

Loulou @ Loulou Downtown

Georgia said...

yuuuumy!
Georgia

Post a Comment

I love that you all took the time to visit my site & I especially love hearing all about it! Make sure to leave the link to your blog, I would love to check it out!

xo, meesch